Monday, January 17, 2011

Is It a Towel or a??????


I could not help but think about my dear Mother in Law, Jeanne as we headed for the swimming pool at the Alcholi Inn hotel in Gulu, Uganda.  You see one of Jeanne’s favorite things to do is to sit by the pool in the summer soaking up the beautiful sunshine.  As we entered the courtyard it seemed pretty much like any other pool setting.  The pool was a nice size and the water was cool and refreshing.  It felt very nice on a hot day.  However, when I asked for a towel it became clear that I was not in the U.S.A.  This very lovely young lady offered to help me in finding a towel.  I thought nothing of the wait but then the “towel” arrived.  The young lady came over and handed me my “towel” along with about four others.  I guess I must have had a very confused look on my face because Steven was laughing at me.  You see these were not towels at all, it was a sheet that had been cut into towel size pieces which the locals call “wrappers”.  You know sheets do absorb most of the water and they are cooler when wrapped around your body.  In fact I was thinking the next time I go to our neighborhood pool I might take a bed sheet instead of a towel.  What do you think Jeanne?

No comments:

Post a Comment